(1) Berglund B, Lindvall T, editors. Guidelines for community noise. Geneva: World Health Organization; 1999
(2) T Hsu, E Ryherd, K Persson Waye, and J Ackerman. Noise pollution in hospitals - Impact on patients. JCOM Vol 19, No 7 July 2012 Pg 301-309
(3) Busch-Vishniac IJ, West JE, Barnhill C, et al. Noise levels in Johns Hopkins Hospital. J Acoust Soc Am 2005;118:3629–45
(4) Ampt A, Harris P and Maxwell M. The health impacts of the design of hospital facilities on patient recovery and wellbeing: A review of the literature. 2008 Centre for Primary Healthcare and Equity, University of New South Wales, Sydney
(5) Ulrich R. and X. Quan. The Role of the Physical Environment in the Hospital of the 21st century: A Once-in-a-Lifetime Opportunity. Designing the 21st Century Hospital Project, The Center for Health Design. 2004
(6) Ulrich R. Evidence Based Design for better buildings. Welsh Health Estates and IHEEM Conference, Cardiff, 2006
(7) Ulrich R, Zimring C, Xuemei Zhu, DuBose J, Hyun-Bo Seo, Young-Seon Choi, Xiaobo Quan, and Anjali Joseph. A Review of the Research Literature on Evidence based Healthcare Design. Health Environments Research & Design, 1(3), 2008.
(8) H Salonen , L Morawska. Physical characteristics of the indoor environment that affect health and wellbeing in healthcare facilities: A review. Intelligent Buildings International, 2013
(9) Bayo, M.V., Garcia, A.M. and Garcia, A., 1995, 'Noise levels in an urban hospital and workers’ subjective responses', Archives of Environmental Health, 50 247-251.
(10) Beyea, S.C., 2007, 'Noise: a distraction, interruption, and safety hazard. AORN Journal.
(11) Biley, F.C., 1994, 'Effects of noise in hospitals', British Journal of Community Nursing, 3 (3), 110-113.
(12) Joseph, A., 2010, 'Hospitals that heal’. Hospital design for the 21st century. Asian hospital and healthcare management.
(13) Hagerman I., Rasmanis G., Blomkvist V., Ulrich R., Eriksen C. A. ,& Theorell T. (2005). Influence of intensive coronary care acoustics on the quality of care and physiological state of patients. International Journal of Cardiology, 98 (2), 267–270.
(14) Devlin, A.S. and Arneill, A.B., 2003, 'Health care environments and patient outcomes: A review of the literature', Environment and Behaviour, 35 (5), 665- 694.
(15) Shield B. M & Dockrell J. E. Acoustical barriers in classrooms: the impact of noise on performance in the classroom. British Educational Research Journel. Volume 32, issue 3, 2006
(16) Nelson P B & Soli S. Acoustical Barriers to Learning: Children at Risk in Every Classroom. Language, Speech & Hearing Services in Schools. Oct 2000, 31, 4
(17)Shield B. M. & Dockrell J. E. External and internal noise surveys of London primary schools, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. 2004, 115(2), 730-738.
(18) Acoustics at work. Noise in Office Environments: Its effects and Means to Reduce and Control it. 2011
(19) Abbot, D. Calming the office cacophony. The Safety and Health Practitioner, 2004, 22 (1), 34-36.
(20) Sykes D M. Productivity: How Acoustics Affect Workers’ Performance In Offices & Open Areas. 2004.
(21) Barach, P. (2008). "Strategies to reduce patient harm: understanding the role of design and the built environment." Studies in Health Technology and Informatics 132: 14-22.
(22) White, R. D. (2006). "Recommended standards for newborn ICU design." Journal of Perinatology 26(SUPPL. 3).
(23) Altimier, L. B. (2004). "Healing environments: for patients and providers." Newborn & Infant Nursing Reviews 4(2): 89-92.
(24) Reiling, J. G., B. L. Knutzen, et al. (2004). "Enhancing the traditional hospital design process: a focus on patient safety." Joint Commission Journal on Quality & Safety 30(3): 115-124.
(25) Brown, P. and L. T. Taquino (2001). "Designing and Delivering Neonatal Care in Single Rooms." Journal of Perinatal and Neonatal Nursing 15(1): 68-83.
(26) Medibank. The Health of Australia’s Workforce. 2005
(27) Aurell J, Elmqvist D. Sleep in the surgical intensive care unit: continuous polygraphic recording in nine patients receiving postoperative care. Br Med J 1985; 290:1029–32
(28) Chaudhury, H., A. Mahmood, et al. (2006). "Nurses' perception of single-occupancy versus multi-occupancy rooms in acute care environments: an exploratory comparative assessment." Applied Nursing Research 19(3): 118-125.