Whitworth Art Gallery, Manchester
Founded in 1889 as the first English gallery in a park, the Whitworth has been transformed by a £15 million development. Part of the University of Manchester, the Whitworth is a gallery that is a place of research and academic collaboration. ISG were the main contracts on this project, while MUMA Ltd was the principal architect.
MUMA’s extension to the gallery and refurbishment of the existing 19th century building has sustainability at its heart. The new Collections Centre on the lower ground floor employs passive environmental control methods, which means that no mechanical cooling or humidity controls are required – which, of course, lowers the carbon consumption significantly. Elsewhere, earth tubes and ground source heat pumps, again introduced by MUMA as part of our recent development, mean that the building achieved its target of reducing overall carbon consumption by 10% - a significant achievement given that the building has increased in size by a third and its public areas have increased by 100%.
The refurbishment and extension of the historic Whitworth Art Gallery incorporated the use of two coat plaster on laths to form vaulted ceilings and curved walls. The scheme was done over a two year period using over 4000m2 of two coat plaster, alongside the use of specialised plasters for specific areas. The plastering and dry-lining works were completed over a 14 month period.
Client: The University of Manchester / Main Contractor: ISG Ltd, C W Solutions Ltd / Architect: MUMA Ltd
Highly commended project: